Thursday 15 May 2008

Earthquake

No words can express my agony when I open the newspapers and am faced with the heart wrenching photos taken in Sichuan, China.

It is only normal for people to cry, to weep, to mourn when such things happened, particularly when parents lose their children; as for children, they are not even supposed to lose their parents and become orphans. It is too much for them to bear, their lives have just started, and an earthquake crushed their childhood.

Yet, on the news, I have also seen a woman who apparently had no tears on her face, and at that sight, my stomach churned, others crying is totally normal and understandable; but this woman whose face showed no emotion, or perhaps I sensed some helplessness and a loss of direction; it made me wonder, what was going through her mind and heart at that moment? Maybe she did not even have the strength, the power and the energy to think anything, and maybe the devastation paralyzed her heart...

I can't tell.

And as I saw more and more photos taken of children buried under collapsed buildings, I could only feel my chest tightened with each new photo I saw; I was suffocating, but what is my pain compared to theirs?

This, could be one of those moments we lift up our faces, look into the sky, and ask "God, where were you when the earthquake happened?" And even this, is a modest question. I do not dare to get close to the notion some might claim "It's God's judgment, hallelujah!"

I shall not allow myself to dwell upon the process of reasoning the latter notion, because it will bring up a traumatising, sick, twisted picture of God. And I dare not to be traumatised.

I believe my God is good, He is love. I believe His heart hurt more than we could fathom when so many people were buried under the collapsed buildings. I especially believe Jesus was literally crying in Heaven when He saw the children had become orphans, and parents had lost their children.

No, it is not an act of God, the very idea such disasters could be an act of God tramples the character of my God. God's will is for us to live, and to live an abundant eternal life with Him.

But this world is a dying world, each earthquake, each tornado, each hurricane, each hailstorm, is merely a sign of our dying world. If not because of God's preservation, the human race would have committed total self-destruction thousands of years ago. The horror of sin is that if we are left to ourselves, we would even nail God to the cross. And we would not even have lived long enough to now when this earthquake happened.

The very fact that we are still here, though facing disasters, sorrows, stands to testify of our God's constraining love. For without God, we would have perished long ago.

And God will not leave the human race on this earth; one day He is coming back for us, and to take us to our true home, where there is no disasters, no sorrow; we will see the scars in His hands, His feet and His side; and we will not dare to think about starting the "great controversy" all over again. For we would all have tasted the sorrow caused by sin.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: